LPSSMatters.com Forum Index LPSSMatters.com
A Forum for LPSS Alumni

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lorne Park's Darkest Hour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Lukas ('79)
Student

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Lorne Park's Darkest Hour Reply with quote

Well for those of you that live in the Greater Toronto area, you will know what this message is about . And for those of you who don't , this is a very difficult message to relay to you . Here's what happened.
On Wednesday May 9, 2007 there was a rugby game at LPSS against Erindale. Towards the end of the game ( at approx 4:45 pm ), there was some sort of altercation on the sidelines ( this was not part of the game proper ). It is still not clear exactly what happened . The Erindale rugby player grabbed 15 year old LPSS student / rugby player Manny Castillo ( after they had been grappling )and threw him to the ground . Manny apparently must have landed very wrong .
Manny was severely injured and was rushed to Toronto's Hospital For Sick Children . He was given a zero chance for survival by doctors .
The Erindale player was apprehended by Peel Regional Police and would be awaiting more severe charges depending on Manny's outcome.
The next day , May 10, 2007 , I believe there were no classes at LPSS due to this incident. Everyone was in shock .That evening there was a candlelight vigil and prayers held for Manny on the field at LPSS with full media coverage. I personally wish I had attended . Manny's relatives from Mexico City, Mexico flew up to Toronto to be with him .
On May 11, 2007 at or around 12 noon it was reported by Principal Julie Hunt - Gibbons that LPSS student Manny Castillo had passed away from his injuries .
The family of Manny Castillo did not want charges brought against the Erindale player.
I went to LPSS immediately after work on Friday . There was a memorial set up at center field with LPSS jerseys , flowers and candles. There was another area of memorial (where the accident took place ) which was down near the end of the bleachers ( opposite the car park ) near a very big tree. That area had candles burning the night before and had scorched the grass and ground. The CBC mobile was packing up and there were still people present ( mostly young kids ) . One day they may go to LPSS and know what happened. There were two leaflets I found in the bleachers. Both were written by the Principal on Manny's death and how to deal with grief in this situation . One was addressed to Lorne Park Students and the other to Lorne Park Families . Grief councillors were to be present at LPSS on Saturday May 12, 2007 from 10am -2pm.
I think the LPSS Alumni should show support in this time of need.
Our condolences go out to the Castillo family . Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LPSSMatters.com Forum Index -> Alumni Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: